DFU or Device Firmware Upgrade mode is located into your iPhone hardware, similar to what is BIOS on PCs, meaning that the DFU cannot be removed from your device. DFU mode allows iOS devices to be restored in any state and is a much deeper restore than a regular restore from iTunes even though you will still use iTunes to restore in DFU mode. DFU mode applies to iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and even Apple TV.
What you'll need to enter in DFU mode
- Obviously you device (iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch)
- Your iPhone USB cable
- A computer (Mac or Windows) with iTunes installed
- Know how to locate the Home and Power button (see image below)
Enter in DFU mode on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- Connect your iOS device to your computer using the USB cable
- Turn the device off (if it's not already off and that's the reason you need to enter DFU mode)
- Hold the Power button for 3 seconds
- Without releasing the Power button, hold the Home button for another 10 seconds
- Release the Power button and keep holding the Home button for another 15 seconds.
iTunes will alert you that your iOS device is in recovery mode trough the following popup message.
Your iPhone screen should be blank at this point and no Apple Logo should be on it. You are now in DFU mode.
Exit DFU mode on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- Simply hold the Home and Power button until the Apple Logo shows up on your screen.
If for some reason you need to enter your Apple TV in DFU mode, here are the steps you need to take:
Enter in DFU mode on your Apple TV
- Using a MicroUSB cable, plug the Apple TV to your computer
- On your Apple TV remote, hold down the Menu button and Down button for about 7 seconds. This will reboot your Apple TV.
- After reboot, hold down the Menu button and Play button for about 15 seconds.
A message will in iTunes stating that an Apple TV was detected in recovery mode. You have now successfully put your Apple TV in DFU mode.
Exit DFU mode on your Apple TV
- Simply hold down the Menu button and Down button on your remote and the Apple TV will reboot into normal state.
Usually iOS devices are put in DFU mode to perform a clean install of the firmware. This is what an Apple Genius will do when you come in reporting an issue and now, you can do it by yourself without leaving the house. You can download the latest iOS firmware here. If it is possible, it is ALWAYS recommended to backup your device before entering DFU mode!